From OpenHatch wiki
The process as I see it:
- Apr 4: OpenHatch (Danny, Asheesh, others?) write a blog post asking project leads to get involved.
- April 5 (in the early AM): We reddit/tweet/dent the bejesus out of that blog post.
- Week of April 4: Project leads email us saying "Wow, I want to get involved in that" We pick the best ones.
- April 8, or so: We have a nice set of projects involved.
- April 10, or so: They have all committed to dates+times that work.
- By April 11: They all email their project email lists so that the newcomers know about the fact that they're running the event.
One a project says they want to be involved, we should:
- Quietly check that they are a project with more than a small handful of users.
- (They should be impressive! :-)
- Read their "application" email, and make sure the person seems sane.
- Get the person to commit to a date time and add it to the Build_it page.
- Get the person to write an email they will send to the -users and -devel list, and ask nicely if they are okay writing in a piratepad so we can help make it clear and friendly and link to the overall "Build it" series of events.
- If we were really nice people, we would have a template we could use.
- Ask them to come up with a list of places to send the email. The -users list, the -devel list, the project blog? The more places that have prospective contributors, the better.
- Get the person to send the email (and otherwise publicize the event).
- Join the project's IRC channel, and idle there for a few days before and after their "Build it" event.