Boston Python workshop 2/Friday setup
Welcome to the Friday evening section of the Boston Python Workshop! Setup hours are from 5pm-8pm at HubSpot.
The goals for this evening are:
- set up Python
- practice running Python code interactively and from a file
- practice printing in Python and using Python as a calculator
- get dependencies installed for the Saturday projects
Goal #1: set up Python
This section has instructions for installing Python and running Python from a terminal prompt.
In addition to being able to run Python, you should pick the text editor you'll use for writing and saving Python code during the workshop.
- On Windows, you might use NotePad. To start NotePad: click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Notepad.
- On OS X, you might use TextEdit. To start TextEdit: search for TextEdit from Spotlight, or navigate to Applications/TextEdit.
- On Linux, you might use GEdit. To start GEdit: click Applications, point to Accessories, and click Text Editor or you can start it from a terminal with:
Goal #2: practice running Python code interactively and from a file
Often in these directions, you'll need to type things at Python prompt. To get one:
- On Windows: Start -> Run -> cmd.exe
- Type this, and press enter:
- On Linux or Mac OS:
- Open a Terminal, and type 'python'