Chicago Python Workshop/Chicago Python Workshop 1
ZOMG I NEVER HOSTED A WORKSHOP BEFORE. That was intense!
Thanks for attending! Thanks to my friends who taught and helped run the event. Thanks to the sponsors Orbitz and Zoro Tools who bought us food! Also a big thanks to the Boston Python Workshop for inspiring us, sharing materials with us, and constantly answering our questions.
Please fill out this form so that we can improve the workshop. We are also interested in knowing what topics people would like to see covered in future workshops. So please please fill out this survey. You can also email as at email@example.com
Here are some events you can go to if you enjoyed this workshop and want to learn more and meet more people who enjoy this stuff!
- ChiPy (Chicago Python User Group) every 2nd Thursday of the month. (people talk about things! python things!)
- Pumping Station: One events (raspberry pi, arduino, python, maker events, ... and so much more)
- Chicago Djangonauts mailing list (they meet periodically to discuss django)
- Software Freedom Day September 15th, Eventbrite signup
- Chicago BarCamp Weekend of September 22, eventbrite signup
- Ohio Linux Fest, Columbus, Ohio - September 28-30, 2012 (road trip!)
- Flourish, Spring 2013
- Google Summer of Code (open source project mentors here)
- Chicago Women Developers, meetup group for women developers with a hack night every Thursday
- and many user groups around the city, ask us about topics
Chicago Python WorkshopEdit
Welcome to the first Chicago Python Workshop: a project-driven introduction to Python for women and their friends!
This workshop is running on the evening of Friday, August 17th, and all day Saturday, August 18th at Orbitz offices in Chicago, IL.
Questions? mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
To attend the workshop, please RSVP through the Chicago Python Workshop. You'll need to create a meetup.com account to RSVP. If you RSVP and then decide that you aren't attending, please update your status through the meetup.com interface so we can notify someone from the waitlist.
- Friday evening, 6pm-9pm: set up your development environment, learn how to execute Python code from a file and interactively from a Python prompt, and learn about printing and using Python as a calculator.
- Saturday morning setup, 9:30am-10am: settle in, get your laptop set up, and review Friday's material. We will start the lecture promptly at 10.
- Saturday morning, 10am-noon: a 2 hour lecture-based introduction to the language.
- Saturday lunch, noon-1pm: we'll provide lunch. Please e-mail us with dietary restrictions as you RSVP.
- Saturday afternoon, 1pm-4pm: break out into groups to practice Python through a short project.
- Saturday wrap-up, 4pm-4:30pm: wrap-up, next steps, and upcoming opportunities for learning and practicing Python.
Thanks to the Boston Python Workshop 6 for the materials.
Orbitz Worldwide (Citibank Building / Ogilvie Transportation Center)
500 West Madison Street
Chicago, IL 60661
Once you are in the Citibank building, take the escalators to the 3rd floor and sign in at the security desk.
Transportation and ParkingEdit
- Orbitz is in the same building as the Ogilvie Transportation Center station. The station website lists connecting services.
- The brown and green lines have `L' stops nearby. Check the cta alerts page for information on the weekend schedules because the Washington/Wells and Quincy brown line stops are closed on the weekend due to construction.
- Plan a public transportation route with Trip Planner
Driving and ParkingEdit
- On-street metered parking (check the map)
- There is a parking lot at the corner of Madison and Des Plaines and a parking garage in Presidential Towers at Madison and Clinton
We are providing lunch on Saturday. If you have dietary restrictions, please include them with your RSVP to the event or e-mail us as you RSVP.
- Many of us are members of chipy. We have a mailing list and some of us like to hang out on the #chipy irc channel on freenode.net. Chipy meets every 2nd Thursday of the month.
- Many of us are also members of Pumping Station: One. Every 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month we have python office hours. Check the events calendar for python events and other PS:One activities.