Open Source Comes to Campus/Logistics/Space Checklist
This is our space checklist for OSCTC events. The first set are questions that should be asked early on in the process, before choosing a location. The second set are not deal-breakers but are important to know before the event so you can prepare.
Before Choosing A Location
- Will the room fit the number of attendees + staff who may attend? (For our events, that means it needs to fit at least 30 people.)
- Will the room be accessible to attendees or staff with limited mobility? For instance, do you need to go up stairs to get into the building or to the right floor, or are there ramps and elevators available?
- Can the building and the room be unlocked for the duration the event? Do you need identification to enter the building?
- Is there easily accessible wifi for both attendees and staff?
- Is there equipment for projecting during presentations and demos?
- Is food allowed, either in the room or nearby?
- Is the room free to use, or within your budget?
- Does the room allow for group work (tables as opposed to rows)? This is optional, but recommended.
Before the Event
- What is the power situation like? Should we bring power strips?
- Do we need adapters to use the projector?
- How do you access the wifi?
- What network restrictions seem to be in place? (Check for both attendees and staff, if they have have separate networks, such as EDU and EDU-Guest.)
- Does SSH work?
- Does IRC work?
- Does doing a git clone over the git:// protocol work?
- Do websites over http:// work?
- Do webites over https:// work?
- What kind of bandwidth do the networks seem to give? (A good way to find out is to just use a normal speed testing site like http://www.speedtest.net/ .)
- Where will we set up food?
- Where are nearby bathrooms and water fountains, if they exist?
- What restrictions on movement around the area will be in place? (e.g., will people have to be let in a locked door by a student at some point?)
- What signs will need to be placed to direct students through the building and to the room?