How many times does the word 'love' appear in Shakespeare's plays? Is it possible to find negative passages using a list of keywords? We'll use Python to practice our skills and answer questions like these.
We'll need additional setup here.
- Have fun using Python to learn basic data science.
- Practice searching for information in text documents
- Practice manipulating strings
- Practice using loops
- Practice using lists
- Practice using dictionaries.
- Get experience with regular expressions.
Skills & Exercises
- Checking if two strings are equal
>>> s = "mama" >>> s == "mama" True >>> s == "papa" False
- Checking if a string contains another as a substring
>>> s = "mama" >>> s in "I love mama" True >>> "day" in "Saturday" True >>> "Day" in "Saturday" False >>> Sat = "Saturday" >>> "day" in Sat True
- Open a file
>>> M_S=open("A Midsummer-Night's Dream.txt", "r") >>> M_S <open file "A Midsummer-Night's Dream.txt", mode 'r' at 0x102d04660>
- Read a line
>>> M_S = open("A Midsummer-Night's Dream.txt", "r") >>> line = M_S.readline() >>> print line < Shakespeare -- A MIDSUMMER-NIGHT'S DREAM >
- Read a file line by line until the end of file (also known as <cod> eof )
>>> for eachline in M_S: >>> # Do something here with each line read ...
- Using the play Romeo and Juliet ,