An affiliated project is a free/open source project which is working with OpenHatch to welcome new contributors to their community. Affiliated projects are characterized by a friendly culture and a willingness to do some extra work to make their projects more accessible.
Becoming and remaining an OH-affiliated project requires two steps:
Developing a good project guide ====
Over time, we've learned that the best projects to recommend to newcomers are those that have clear, thorough guides for newcomers.
We've created a detailed how-to for creating these (see the [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UGtR_6XWBn4_vo37Kn_hNXmzpwLaSJEZxc8rqFKhy-U/edit Open Source Project Guide] - #2: Project Setup). The basics
are as follows:
If the following seems daunting to produce by yourself, we're happy to facilitate a "set-up sprint" - an IRC meeting (or meetings, as needed) where OpenHatch volunteers attempt to get started with your project. This will allow you to quickly and efficiently handle problems with dependencies, documentation, etc.
Practically speaking, we'll test your setup and documentation ourselves before listing you on our OH-affiliated projects page, so you might as well work with us to get there. We've found that newcomers such as our [http://campus.openhatch.org/ OSCTC alumni] are very well suited to this kind of contribution.
* Develop good project guides.
* If needed, work on improving set up environment.
* Locate tasks
Affiliated projects promise to:
* Work with OpenHatch staff and volunteers to create good, readable documentation for setting up your development environment and contributing to your project.
* Help provide [[Curated First Tasks|curated first tasks]] for attendees at our events. This means keeping an eye out for appropriate tasks and assigning them to an "OpenHatch" account on your bug tracker. If you're worried about OpenHatch-assigned bugs lingering unfixed, contact us and we'll talk to you about timing.
Awesome things that you can do, but are in no way required:
* We are always looking for enthusiastic staff to come to our events. If maintainers or core contributors are interested in volunteering, we'd love to have you! Our attendees have had some wonderful experiences working through bugs with project maintainers sitting right beside them.
* It's always great for attendees to get quick feedback. If you can keep an eye on your projects during our events and respond quickly, that would be wonderful!
==List of OpenHatch affiliated projects.==