U Penn open source 2010/project organization exercises
(Want to go back to the U Penn 2010 page?)
Do a "git clone" of John Stumpo's pomodoro applet
- Run: "git clone git://git.jstump.com/git/pomodoro-applet.git"
- Change directory ("cd") into the directory created by the "git clone" command
- Read the output of "git log" to see the history
- Answer this question: When was the most recent change made?
- NOTE: You can use "q" to quit this program
Make a commit
- Change the AUTHORS file to include your name
- Run "git commit" to create a new commit with your AUTHORS file
- NOTE: It tells you that you have to run something else first... that's okay, and if you have questions ask us!
- Run "git push" to push your changes back to John's server!
- You might get an error message. That's okay -- come ask us why!
Read about a patch
Take a look at this bug in Firefox, and the attached patch: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=520943
Then answer these questions:
- Is this patch in Firefox yet?
- What work is necessary (if anything) for the patch to get into Firefox?
- How long has the bug been open?
That's the best ansewr of all time! JMHO
Read a wiki page about contributing to a project
- Open http://openhatch.org/wiki/Category:Hacking_OpenHatch
- Just browse around
Go to http://wikipedia.org/ and find an article with a typo. Fix it!