You are filling out a crossword and need a word that fits the pattern E*G****R. What are your options? How many words have all 5 vowels in order? What's the only common English word that ends in 'mt'? Use Python to answer questions like this instantly while practicing manipulating data from a file and regular expressions.
See the Friday setup page and the section on installing dependencies for information on information on getting setup.
Wordplay handout: goals and cheat sheet.
- Have fun using Python to cheat at Scrabble and crosswords.
- Practice using lists and manipulating strings.
- Get experience with regular expressions.
Ideas for exercises
- Find and print the words that start with "ee".
- Find and print the words that end in "mt". How about "gry"?
- Find and print the longest word that has no vowels.
- Find an print the words that contain 4 or more 'l's.
- Find and print the words that have all 5 vowels in alphabetical order.
- Look for other interesting properties of English words in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_words_with_uncommon_properties and write code to find the words that have these properties.