==What's an 'OpenHatch affiliated project'?==
An affiliated project is a free/open source project which is working with OpenHatch to welcome new contributors to their community. Affiliated projects are characterized by a friendly culture and a willingness to do some extra work to make their projects more accessible.
To become an affiliated project , you'll need to do two things.
==== 1. Develop a good project guide ====▼
Develop a good project guide ====
Over time, we've learned that the best projects to recommend to newcomers are those that have clear, thorough guides for newcomers.
We've created a
detailed how-to for creating these (see the [ https:// docs.google.com/ document/d/1UGtR_6XWBn4_vo37Kn_hNXmzpwLaSJEZxc8rqFKhy- U/edit Open Source Project Guide] - #2: Project Setup). The basics that we look for are:
* Contact information for the project as a whole, as well as one or more maintainers who will be OpenHatch's main points of contact.
* An overview of the purpose of the project, as well as its basic structure, tools and technologies.
If the following seems daunting to produce by yourself, we're happy to facilitate a "set-up sprint" - an IRC meeting (or meetings, as needed) where OpenHatch volunteers attempt to get started with your project. This will allow you to quickly and efficiently handle problems with dependencies, documentation, etc.
Practically speaking, we'll test your setup and documentation ourselves before listing you on our OH-affiliated projects page, so you might as well work with us to get there. We've found that newcomers such as our [http://campus.openhatch.org/ OSCTC alumni] are
very well suited to this kind of contribution .
2. Identify appropriately-sized tasks ====
Once your project has good documentation, we'll work with you to help identify tasks that new contributors can handle. We call these "Curated First Tasks". A good first task should not require extensive knowledge of the code base to fix, and should be doable relatively quickly. First tasks can be code-based, but don't need to be. Documentation, bug verification, testing, design, translation, and other types of tasks are all very welcome. You can see examples of past curated tasks [https://openhatch.org/wiki/First_Tasks here].
* the First Tasks page, which we will be sending newcomers to on a regular basis
Tasks for events should generally be fixable in two hours or less.
You may also be interested in mentoring newcomers as they work on larger tasks. [https://openhatch.org/wiki/Starling Details].
==== Other ways to get involved ====
These are in no way necessary to become an OH-affiliated project, but sure would be neat:
* We are always looking for enthusiastic staff to come to our events. If maintainers or core contributors are interested in volunteering, we'd love to have you! Our attendees have had some wonderful experiences working through bugs with project maintainers sitting right beside them.
=List of OpenHatch affiliated projects .====