Github Demo Steps
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- do you have a github.com account? make one! =D (it's great for showcasing your involvement in projects!)
- find judytuna/the-new-field on github
- press "fork"
- after it's done, verify that you're on your OWN copy of the repo
- find the "clone url" and click on the https link to get the one that starts with https://github.com (instead of the default, which starts with email@example.com). it's on the right side of the page. copy the clone url (you can click on the little pasteboard)
- go into your terminal and type
git clone [paste the clone url here!!!](this command pulls down a copy of the code on your own copy of the repo).
- cd into the new directory that you just made. at this point, you can look at .git/config to see that your "origin" is set up to be your own repo
- open up index.html in your text editor and add some stuff. save!
- in your terminal, type
git statusand see that you have unstaged changes
- stage them. you could type
git add .(note the dot!) to add everything. OR, and judy likes this a lot, you can type
git add -pto step through all your changes and verify that you want them.
[If you use 'git add -p', you will be asked "Stage this hunk [y,n,q,a,d,/,e,?]?" -- here you can type 'y' for "yes, stage this hunk of code" or 'n' for "no, do not stage this hunk of code. If you're curious, you can read about all the offered options here: http://git-scm.com/docs/git-add]
- now type
git statusand see that your changes are now staged, but they are still uncommitted.
- to make the commit, type:
git commit -m 'some commit message here'
- now type
git statusand see that you have no uncommitted changes. This means your changes are "checked in to git" on your own local machine, BUT your account on github has no idea about the changes yet.
git push origin master
- look on your own github project page for your change
- find "submit a pull request"
- start dancing in the aisle. do not stop until you see your pull request show up on judy's project page for "pull requests"