Social justice open source projects
The goal of this page is to list projects that deal with social justice issues and are looking for new contributors. This starting point is a list of projects that may be interesting or relevant.
Tools for underserved people
- ATUnit - Gittip alternative for processing payments to activists and other people.
- Refuge Restrooms - Ruby project to map trans-safe and wheelchair accessible restrooms
- Sonar - GNU distribution organized around accessibility for disabled users
Internet access and secure communication
Tools for activists, journalists, and people living under censorship.
- Google Person Finder
- OpenMRS - "a collaborative open source project to develop software to support the delivery of health care in developing countries".
- Humanitarian OpenStreetMap (also this wiki page) - "applies the principles of open source and open data sharing for humanitarian response and economic development".
- Sahana FOSS Disaster Management System - "emergency management and disaster preparedness software".
- One Laptop Per Child
- Open Data Kit
- InSTEDD's Platform - "Toolset for helping improve communities' health, safety and development."
- A lot of Code for America projects, including "Brigade" (volunteer) projects, such as LocalFreeWeb (more info).
- Growstuff - software tools and community for food gardeners (founded by a person with a social justice background and integrates this as part of its values)