Django for Designers/Laptop setup/Linux text editor
How to find gedit in the Applications list
On Linux, we suggest the GEdit text editor.
GEdit should already be installed on your computer. To start GEdit: click Applications, point to Accessories, and click Text Editor. If you don't have this option, let a staff member know.
How to find GEdit from a terminal
If you prefer to start applications from a terminal, you can type the following into a terminal to launch GEdit:
Configure gedit to indent with spaces
- Click Edit -> Preferences
- Select the tab labeled "Editor"
- In the "Tab width" field, set it to 4 (the default is 8)
- Check the box labeled "Insert spaces instead of tabs"
- Check the box labeled "Enable automatic indentation"
- Click Close.
That's it! Now, you can hit tab to indent your code, and that indentation will actually be made of spaces. This change will help you use spaces consistently, so that Python doesn't get confused about whitespace.
If you prefer a different editor for text, check with an instructor before moving on to make sure it will work for the tutorial.