Incomplete draft. To be linked from Events/Affiliated, Events/Logistics/Wrap up and other places mentioning exit surveys.
How to have a good exit survey
You might want to ask this to see if you are actually increasing diversity. But M/F as a binary choice is not inclusive. M/F/Other? We've been convinced that gender should be a single free form text field.
- Lukas Blakk explaining gender as a text field on the OH events list
- Sarah Mei writes Disalienation: Why Gender is a Text Field on Diaspora
- XKCD blog post on gender in forms has some poignant comments -- "I’ve spend the last three months flinching every time I fill out a form, no matter how stupid the form, because I can’t mark M or F. (Sometimes it makes me cry.)"
On the exit survey for Open Source Comes to UMD we put gender as a text field. But still not perfect -- it's the third question, and there aren't only three questions. Gender should be the last question so as to avoid stereotype threat.
- If you need to collect data on gender diversity, make gender a free form text field
- Also make the gender question the last question so that it doesn't prime other questions