The secret ingredient for success is early involvement and staying way ahead of deadlines if possible.
In a nutshell:
- Go through GSoC Advice for Students and review the GSoC FAQs.
- Make sure that you will enjoy the time spent on making OpenHatch better.
- Look at the timeline for the GSoC program.
- Look at the ideas lists and decide if you will submit a proposal based upon one of the listed ideas or if you will submit your own idea proposal - either will be considered.
- Look at our Student Application Template.
- Join the OpenHatch mailing list.
- Discuss your idea with potential mentors on the mailing list. If your proposal comes from the ideas lists, it is a good idea to talk to the mentor listed with the idea.
- Join #openhatch IRC channel on Freenode and say Hello (a must!).
- Watch the timeline closely to avoid missing deadlines.
- Get involved. Speak to potential mentors and listen carefully to their advice. Try to get involved in the larger community, as your peers in the community can be a great support tool as you work on your summer project.
To really stand out
- Attend our weekly meetings on IRC.
- Create your own instance of the OpenHatch code: See getting started with the OpenHatch code
- Submit a patch for an issue (you can ask us what would be appropriate! We want to help anyone who wants to stand out)